Does Europe consume as much rice as in Asia? Is it difficult to find rice there?

In the past, when I first went to France, for fear of not finding rice, I took 2 kilos of rice with me. This experience happened 18 years ago but I still hear the same anecdote when welcoming Asian students studying in France. It turned out that I wasn't the only one who was afraid of not being able to eat rice.

Climate and history make the staple food of each country different. However, with the development of the era of globalization, rice is also consumed in Europe but in small quantities. Rice itself has been known in France since the reign of Louis the 13th. But rice cultivation did not develop quickly because the French preferred to eat potatoes and bread instead of rice.

Rice can be found easily in most European countries. We can buy it in supermarkets or Asian stores. Varieties in France include rice from Thailand, Cambodia, India (basmati), Japan, and European varieties such as arborio and Camargue (southern France). The price is approximately 2.5€ per kilo maybe. I forgot because I never saw the price when I bought it.

Regarding the amount of consumption, it's still a bit for Europeans. Maybe once a week and not much. For one serving of cooked rice is only a glass.

By Europeans, rice can be processed in the form of cooking for a staple dish, salad or cake.

When I told my European friends that I eat rice every day, they were very surprised. And when they know that I can eat rice for breakfast, lunch, tea time and dinner, their faces become amazed. This story made an imprint on many people's memories, so that in the end every friend/colleague went abroad, the gift they gave me was rice.

Tuna rice salad. Cheat photos from Google.

The recipe: mix 2 tablespoons of mustard with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil. Give a little salt and nutmeg. Then give chopped tomatoes, corn, eggs and cooked carrots, rice and canned tuna. Simple but delicious and nutritious.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.